How You Can Use Social Media to Help Re-Engage Existing Customers

posted this in
Social Media, HVAC
on October 30th, 2013

You’ve probably heard this saying: “80% of your revenue comes from existing customers and the remaining 20% comes from new customers.”

Well I think this 80/20 mentality applies with social media, too. It’s very rare for a person to follow a company’s social page if they have never worked with that company before, so the majority of your social media followers are likely to be your existing customers.

But too often I see businesses using social media to try and gain brand new customers when their past customers are right in front of them.

While it’s important to attract new customers, we know it can cost 7 times more to acquire a new customer than keep an old one.

Using social media to reach your existing customers can be very easy and cost-effective. Here are a few ways you can use social media to help re-engage past customers.

Tailor your content to your previous customers

If you talk to your followers like you don’t know them, they are going to be less likely to respond to your content because it doesn’t apply to them.

For example, if you post content about what you business does or introduce your services, will existing customers care about that? Probably not. But if you post content that is relevant to your existing customers, they’ll be much more likely to respond.

We work with a lot of HVAC clients and rather than creating content geared toward selling services to new customers, we focus on what happens after a customer has already made a purchase. We’ll post content related to air conditioning and furnace tune-ups and why regular maintenance is so important.

Think about what you want your customers to know after they’ve purchased something from you and tailor your posts around that.

Offer targeted contests, promotions and information

A great way to re-engage your existing customers on social media is by offering promotions and information that they would be interested in.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is currently running a pumpkin carving contest on their Facebook page tailored to existing customers who love PBR.

This is a great example of offering a targeted promotion because the people that would enter this type of contest are those that love your brand already.

But you don’t have to do a full-blown contest to attract your existing customer base on social media. You can simply offer a free resource to your followers like a how-to guide for using one of your products.

Take your brand loyalty programs online

Many companies have offline brand loyalty programs like frequent-buyer punch cards or send previous customers discounts through direct mail. Why not take your brand loyalty program online?

Social media can be a great way to get the word out about the loyalty programs you have for your business and there are plenty of tools to use.

Tools like ShortStack and InviteBox allow you to add widgets to your Facebook page so you can easily get referrals on social media from existing customers.

Foursquare can also be a great tool for brand loyalty if you have a physical location. When a customer “checks in” to your location on Foursquare, you can give them a discount or offer for checking in and their friends will see that they’ve checked in to your business, too.

What are you waiting for?

If you’re currently using social media only to attract new customers or you aren’t using social media because you think it doesn’t acquire new business, then I think it’s time to change the way you think about social media.

It can be difficult for social media to be the starting point with a new customer, but it’s a great channel for reaching the customers that already know and love you.